This is my first blog after getting selected as an intern for Wikimedia. Well, this is my first written account of any type after this little achievement. I haven’t yet made a diary entry for it, nor emailed my college mentor thanking him for every possible support. So I think this blog entry might go haywire, but I’ll try my best to keep it formal and on track.
Outreachy, previously called OPW-Outreach Program for Women is a three-month paid internship program for cisgender and transgender women, people of other gender identities that are minorities in open source (including transgender men and genderqueer people). The best part about this program is that it asks you to be 18 years or more of age, nothing else. Just nothing more than that. So you can either come from business or arts, be a single mother or an undergraduate, be in your teens or be a forty plus diva, you are welcomed to apply.
It was my second attempt in Outreachy. I applied in round 13 with Zulip. Though I didn’t make it that time but the experience was very fruitful. It taught me how to study huge projects’ code in a way that you find sections that matter to you in order to solve some specific bug. I learned how to communicate with mentors and peers. Research, try to answer our own questions and if you still feel stuck, ask for help.
I was looking at the participating organization list of round 14 and thought why not Wikimedia? Our college hosted WikiToLearn conference’2017 in January and I think somewhere it played a role why I decided to go through the project list of Wikimedia.
I’ll be documenting the process of creating a Zotero translator. I believe during the documentation, I’ll come across many aspects of Citoid and these translators that I haven’t discovered yet. The existing documentation is pretty old and there are some topics that I want to include in my version.
Work done till 17th May’17
- Joined Zulip server for the participants
- Introduced myself on the mailing list wikitech-l@lists
- Created a Phabricator task for submitting the weekly reports
- Redesigned my blog, which keeps happening
- Updated my Mediawiki user page, this will also happen often in near future