Outreachy with Wikimedia: 23rd to 29th June, 2017

This weeek I continued my work on the Mediawiki translator and simultaneously documented it. I skimmed through open issues and picked this one https://github.com/zotero/translators/issues/1020 to solve. For the comming week, I look forward to solve some more issues and write a few translators.

Advertisements

Outreachy with Wikimedia: 16th to 22nd June, 2017

Week 6/15

For the 6th Week, I finished with the 5th section of the documentation covering the common code blocks in a Zotero translator. I have planned to move the code snippets from this section to the next section which will be covering the working example of mediawiki translator because I will have to explain the code and adding it here will be redundant. I made use of Embedded Metadata.js in the Oxford Reference translator. Waiting for response from the developers.

We had our first meeting on 20th June on #wikimedia-devrel and it was fun to learn from where everyone came from and what they are working on. Most of it was new for me as I didn’t have a chance to take a look on those projects in the past while filing the application. I wish I take some time out and see each one of them since the interns explained their projects very well. So it’ll be easy for me to know what they were talking about 😀 . I also got to know about Wikimania that is taking place in August in Canada. Would have loved to attend it but I will be having my placement session.

Srishti gave me feedback on the work done till now and it is very valuable. I think every fortnight I should (patiently because it takes effort to read something that you wrote again and again) go through the doc and write down the stuff that needs any change.

Outreachy with Wikimedia: 9th to 15th June, 2017

Week 5/15.

This week I completed documenting section 4, which covered concepts : DOM, XPath, HTML and JavaScript. One of my mentors suggested that we need to include how a user can generate DOM and include Embedded Metadata.js and then write other fields on top of it. While updating translator for Oxford Reference, Philipp suggessted me the same. So I will be learning how to use existing translators when creating new ones. With this I am looking forward to finish common code blocks documentation by scraping wikimedia parallely and presenting it as example in this section. In later section, I will document about how to bring all these pieces together and build a complete translator in Scaffold.

Outreachy with Wikimedia: 2nd-8th June, 2017

Welcome back 😀

Week 4/15. Things are going well. I completed documenting the sections that were planned for the first two weeks of the internship period (Introduction and installtion of required softwares) and I am currently writing about concepts like DOM, HTML, JavaScript. I keep updating my mentors about the sections I write and till now they have approved the content. I just created a PR for Oxford Reference translator. I need some inputs from Zotero community on it and I hope it gets merged by the coming week after all the updation that they’ll suggest (because they always have ideas to get things done in a better way).

Our dear chatroom went through some heath issues (technical problems) this week and couldn’t play a part in the communications we made. My mentor suggessted the steps that I could take to bring it back to life. The developers of WMF took a great care of it by making it a “High” priority. A mail this morning greeted me with the good news from my mentor informing me that the chatroom was fit and fine now. Its good to have the non-living member back on the team 😀 😀

Note: Find my work here.

Summers 2017: You must never forget the reasons behind your actions that brought you where you are.

Outreachy with Wikimedia: 18th May-1st June, 2017

Yes, I agree, 18th May to 1st June, a huge time span. Well, I couldn’t make the last blog post so this will be summing up my work from then till today.
I have decided to write a translator for mediawiki.org and present that as the working example for the documentation. I went through the existing translator Wikipedia.js in order to understand how wiki sites need to be translated and what all data is included in the citation for these articles. Though MediaWiki pages won’t be similarly extracted, it provided a fair idea to me because I was confused about where to begin with translating these huge pages. For translation of search results, I went through Wikisource.js. Things are clearer now. Also, I looked into the user guide of VisualEditor (a quick read, as it is pretty easy to use anyway).The official internship period started on 30th May, 2017. Now I can say, I am an intern at Wikimedia, Woohoo!
For the first week, as planned, I have started working on the two sections of the documentation, brief about Citoid, Zotero and their relationship. I went through all the possible content available on Citoid and wrote a gist about it. Of course with a wiki page dedicated to it, it doesn’t make sense to elaborate it. I came across a research done on Citoid’s support and the TWL/Citoid page. Some issues reported there are resolved, some aren’t. It also made clear how important it is to widen the coverage of Zotero translators.
With at least 7 hours given to the project every day, I am looking forward to creating more translators alongside. I have been a little inactive since the last translator got merged. I have a few sites in line. Let’s see how this week ends.
Deadline: 5th June 2017

Summers 2017: This is what it looks like on heated afternoons.

WhatsApp Image 2017-06-01 at 7.41.05 PM(1)